The Complete Repository of Original Scots Slow Strathspeys & Dances, Part 2
by Malcolm Keith
Full title: The Complete Repository of Original Scots Slow Strathspeys & Dances (The Dances arranged as Medleys) for the Piano Forte Harp, Violin & Violoncello &c. Respectfully Dedicated to Miss Mary Gordon. By Malcom Keith. … [Part 2]
Publisher: Glasgow: M. Keith
Printer: Glasgow: M. Keith
A Glasgow publication, based on Gow's Complete Repository. Both Keith volumes have an index. This copy lacks titlepage and index; hand-traced copies have been inserted.
Vol.2 has only a short note on p.1 as follows:
'SCOTTISH AIRS &c.
The Original Scots Strathspeys, Irish Airs, Reels and Jigs, of which this Collection consists, are communicated in an Original pleasing and familiar manner and according to the most approved style.'
This volume contains additional information on the tunes.
'The (Original) Highland Laddie Quick Step' has a footnote: 'Performed when the Regiment was reviewed by his Majesty at Ashford after its return from Egypt May 7th. 1802'.
'The Highlanders' Farewell to Ireland. A Strathspey' notes: 'The Highland Watch now the 42d. or Royal HIghlanders.'
'The Mason's Apron. a Reel. by D.Martine. Cary Owen. a Jig. Irish'. has the footnote, 'This was a Favorite Tune of His MAJESTY'S as Performed by the Band of the Royal Yacht when at Dublin in 1821.'
There are also other attributions and notes not found in Gow. Some tunes are different too, including 'Miss Elizabeth Towart's Strathspey By M. Keith' (p.7). This includes piano triads c-g-c' and d-a-d' amongst mostly octaves.
Biographical info: SBTI locates Keith's Music shop at 26 Hutcheson Street in 1809, near the Trongate in Glasgow.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
This source has not been digitised.