A Collection of New Strathspey Reels
by Alexander Leburn
Full title: A Collection of New Strathspey Reels &c. with a Bass for the Violincello or Harpsichord … by Alexr. Leburn, Auchtermuchty
Publisher: Edinburgh: Johnson
Printer: Edinburgh: Printed for the Author
The subscriber list includes many from Fife and Perthshire, including two musicians in Kettle.
Several tunes are attributed to 'A Lady', possibly Lady Jane Belsches [Belches] of Queen Street, Edinburgh.
Transcription included in HMT volume Fiddle Music from Fife (2006).
Some 2/4 tunes (alamandes?) and jigs. Single note basslines, some with the rarer pattern of minim/crotchet/crotchet as the basic rhythm; also crotchet/quaver 2+1 jig basslines, broken octaves, and other keyboard figurations.
There are some unusual harmonic progressions here and there. The final piece, 'Miss Pillans's Strathspey' by A.J. [Alex Jaffray? from subscriber list] has the stock bassline that appears many times in John Clark's Collection of New Strathspey Reels.
Biographical info: Alexander Leburn (1767-1836) of Auchtermuchty was a self-taught musician, and a druggist by trade, as well as a keen mathematician. (Fiddle Music from Fife, HMT, 2006)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Inglis 183
GB-En Glen 373 (dated c.1800)
GB-En E.l.111 (no subscriber list, signed John Sturrock [Forfar] 1799)
GB-Gm M8840/ 786.45
This source has not been digitised.