A Collection of Scots Tunes (Stewart)
by William McGibbon
Full title: A Collection of Scots Tunes Some with Variations for a Violin Hautboy or German Flute With a Bass for a Violincello [sic] or Harpsichord by William McGibbon
Publisher: Edinburgh: Neil Stewart
Printer: [Printed for Neil Stewart]
Reset by Neil Stewart, with slightly different layout and order. A few minuscule typographical differences such as a slur missing from an appoggiatura, or tails going in opposite directions in an ornament.
also later editions c.1771 (opposite Tron church Miln's Square) and c.1783 (Parliament Square) with minor changes.
Kidson locates Stewart's shop at the Tron church 1770-1773, and in Parliament Square (or Close) 1773-1792. SBTI says 1773-1790.
SBTI dates Stewart's shop at Blackfriar's Wynd as 1761-1764.
The basslines in this early edition are very revealing of harmonic thinking, albeit of someone who had been to Italy. Some tunes are given in two keys (both with basslines), the second being 'For the Flute'. This early version of 'Put the Gown upon the Bishop' has a busier bassline and is 13 bars long - the later Bremner bassline is simpler, is in doubled note values, and is 10+8 bars with repeats.
Biographical info: William McGibbon (1696-1756) is believed to have been born in Glasgow. In 1709, he went to London, where he studied with William Corbett, and travelled to Italy with him in 1711. Around 1720, McGibbon settled in Edinburgh, and played in the Edinburgh Musical Society from 1726. He died in Edinburgh. Upon McGibbon's death, his estate was left to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary; they sold Cooper's plates of McGibbon's Scots tune books to Bremner, who published them in Edinburgh and London. Neil Stewart published his editions in Edinburgh 1761-1783, and S. A. & P. Thompson theirs in London, 1779-1794. (Grove)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A SB f787 McG (vols.1-3, lacks titlepage)
GB-CDp (info from RISM)
GB-Gm M8853 (Book 1, despite ink note on titlepage, 'No 3d')
GB-Gu Ca9-y.2 ([c.1783])
GB-Gu Ca9-y.3 ([c.1783], vol.2 lacks titlepage)
GB-P O10 ([c.1771])
This source has not been digitised.