A Collection of Strathspey Reels
by William Marshall
Full title: A Collection of Strathspey Reels with a bass for the violoncello or harpsichord
Publisher: Edinburgh, Neil Stewart
Printer: Printed for Neil Stewart
Seller: Printed for Neil Stewart and sold at his music shop in Parliament Square. Price 2/6.
Marshall's first collection. He followed this 12 page volume with another bearing the same titlepage, of just 4 pages, dated as 1793 according to the HMT edition of 2007. GB-En Glen 386 has both bound together; so too does GB-A Hend inst Cum c; these are rare examples of the later 4-page edition.
Very simple basslines.
'The Illumination 9th. Febry. 1781' commemorates the bonfires in Edinburgh to celebrate the acquittal from charges of treason of the Duke of Gordon's brother, Lord George Gordon. In Marshall's Scottish Airs it is renamed 'The Fochaber's Rant'.
The basslines in the later, 4-page edition are simple, but make considerably more use of dyads and chords than in the first volume.
Pages: 12 p
Dimensions: 23.5 x 33.5
Biographical info: Marshall (1748-1833) was a fiddler and composer, born in Fochabers, employed as house steward to the Duke of Gordon. (Glen 2, v-vii; Alburger; Bulloch; Cowie)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A Hend inst Cum c (12+4 p, bound with Cumming, A collection of strathspey or old Highland reels)
GB-DUcl Wighton 31961
GB-En Glen 386 (not listed online; 12+4 p.)
- A Collection of Strathspey Reels [A K Bell Library, Perth (GB-P), Be6]