A Collection of Reels Strathspeys and Slow Tunes
by Alexander Mackay
Full title: A Collection of Reels Strathspeys and Slow Tunes, Arranged for the Piano Forte Chiefly composed by Alexander Mackay Musician Islay. Dedicated by permission to the Right Honble. Lady Elinor Campbell Of Islay and Shawfield.
Publisher: Glasgow Published for the Author by J. Mc.Fadyen 30, Wilson Street
This is the earliest example of an island musician compiling his own collection, and includes many tunes by J. Pattison as well as by Mackay.
GB-En copy has pencil notes: 'WM 1822', and 'WM 1832' on p.36.
Simple 4-beat basslines in single notes for the most part, but some octaves and dyads near the beginning of the book.
'Mr. Dunn. Campbell Rockside's Reel' (p.8) is a simple but exciting tune using a gapped scale, almost impossible to harmonise.
Many tunes referencing places on Islay: 'The Pier of Bowmore', 'The New Bridge of Lagavuillin', Ballinaby, Ardmore, Ardbeg etc.
Biographical info: Alexander Mackay (b.1775) was an Islay fiddler/composer.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 344
This source has not been digitised.