A Second Collection of Strathspey Reels
by Robert Petrie
Full title: A Second Collection of Strathspey Reels &c for the Piano-Forte, Violin, and Violincello humbly Dedicated to Mrs Garden of Troup by Robert Petrie at Kirkmichael.
Publisher: Edinburgh, Robert Petrie
Printer: Printed for the Author
Seller: Sold by all the Music Sellers in Town and Country Price to Subscribers 5/ to Nonsubscribers 6/
Engraved by George Walker, and not so carefully printed as first Petrie collection; p.2 is printed in error on the back of p.23, and some pages have ghosting.
First edition of 1796, watermark 1795.
This collection contains more material by Robert Mackintosh - who was also a subscriber, as was Nathaniel Gow.
There are many single line bass patterns, considerable use of octaves, some chords, some broken chords in 6/8, and some chromaticism.
The collection includes a version of 'Deil among the Tailors', as 'The American Reel'.
Pages: 24 p
Dimensions: 33.5 x 24
Biographical info: Petrie (1767-1830) was a fiddler and composer from Kirkmichael; he worked as gardener for the Garden family of Troup, and was in demand at balls and weddings. (Alburger, 117; Glen 1, xiii)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 295 (many pencil markings noting 'good' tunes; book shows signs of use and wear)
GB-En E.I.111 (lacking subscribers list, signed 'John Sturrock, 1800')
- A Second Collection of Strathspey Reels [A K Bell Library, Perth (GB-P), Be2]