A Collection of New Reels, Strathspey's, Jigs, Waltz &c
by Daniel Robertson
Full title: A Collection of New Reels, Strathspey's [sic], Jigs Waltz &c. for the Piano Forte, Harpsichord & Violin, with a Bass for the Violoncello, Composed and Dedicated by Permission to Miss Georgine Scott of Seabank by [in ink] D. Robertson
Publisher: Edinburgh: Muir Wood & Co. No. 7 Leith Street.
Printer: By the Author
Robertson's name is not mentioned on the titlepage, but he has signed the book.
GB-Gu copy titlepage has 'WM 1802' in pencil, and has been signed in ink 'Ann Bell. 1808.'
The first page has a pianistic 'Valtz' with arpeggiated bass, followed by a strathspey with 4-beat bassline, both in E flat.
On p.2, 'Miss Elizabeth Hamilton's Favorite Waltz' has quite well crafted piano variations, and there are more waltzes with piano variations later in the book, some reminiscent of Mackintosh.
Jigs tend to have quaver broken chords in the bass. There are plenty of strathspeys, some marked slow, more like slow airs.
Reels, Waltzes and Strathspeys are increasingly intermingled as the book progresses, with a few short sets of piano variations, perhaps more reminiscent of the 1790s.
Biographical info: Robertson was active ca.1810-56, according to Copac records.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A Hend inst Rob c
GB-En Glen 356
GB-Ob Harding Mus. F 139
This source has not been digitised.