A Favourite Collection of Scots Tunes & Highland Airs
by James Aird
Full title: A Favourite Collection of Scots Tunes & Highland Airs &c For the Violin or German Flute With a Bass for the Violoncello or Harpsichord By W. McGibbon J. Oswald & others. BOOK 1st. Price 3/- [list of other books available, inc. Reinagle Scots Tunes and Corri's op.2 Harpsichord sonatas, and instruments lent per Month or Quarter].
Publisher: Glasgow: Printed & Sold by A McGoun at his Music Shop Argyle Street
Note that there is no mention of Aird on the titlepage: Aird's plates were printed by McGoun after his death with a new (or amended) titlepage. He either replaced everything after 'BOOK 1st,' or simply Aird's name: the engraving of "A McGoun" is not particularly neat.
This book has the running title, 'J. Aird's Scots Tunes' and is grouped in 3 sections of 8 pages each: p.9 has 'J. Aird's Scots Tunes No. 2' etc. Pages also have printer's mark A 11, B 11 etc.
Italianate basslines, some with figures, some tunes with variations. 'O'er the Hills and far awa' has a variation and a 'Jig', but the jig is written in triplets in common time.
Biographical info: Aird (c.1750-1795) was a Glasgow music seller, copperplate printer and publisher between c.1779-179. (Glen 1, x-xi; Alburger).
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-DUcl 92526 (Book 1)
GB En Mus.Box.S.70.2(8) (Book 1)
This source has not been digitised.