The Dance Music of Scotland
by John Thomas Surenne
Full title: The Dance Music of Scotland, a collection of all the best Reels and Strathspeys, both of the Highlands and Lowlands, Arranged for the Piano Forte, and Dedicated by express permission to Her Grace The Duchess of Roxburghe by J. T. Surenne. [op.30].
Publisher: Edinburgh: Wood & Co. 12 Waterloo Place; London: Cramer, Addison & Beale, 201 Regent Street & Munro & May, 11 Holborn Bars.
There are six known editions. The 'new edition' in GB-Gm is dated in ink 'Morag Thompson 12th Aug. 1841' on titlepage of each volume.
The sixth edition was reset, with additional tunes in the introduction.
The accompaniment style is of four-beat basslines with dyads, octaves and chords throughout; some decades later, Glen's style was not dissimilar.
Biographical info: John Thomas Surenne (1814-1878) was born in London, but died in Edinburgh. He was a collector, editor, and composer of vocal and instrumental music, and also an organist. Besides the present collection, he also made piano arrangements of publisher Muir Wood's The Songs of Scotland, and The Songs of Ireland, both edited by George Farquhar Graham.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-Cu MR340.b.85.8 (6th edition, [186-?])
GB-Cu MR340.b.85.9 (2nd edition, 1852)
GB-DUcl (Shand collection)
GB-En Glen 211 (6th edition, [186-?])
GB-Eu Scott.Stud.Lib. G3(41) Sur. (2nd edition, 1852)
GB-Eu Scott.Stud.Lib. G3(41) Sur. (later, Bayley & Ferguson publication)
GB-Gm M8921-4 / 786.45c
GB-Lbl e.476 (2nd edition, 1852)
GB-Lbl h.3198.a ('new edition', , lacks book 4)
GB-Lbl Document Supply Services MUSIC DON3017 (2nd edition, 1852)
This source has not been digitised.