A Collection of New Strathspey Reels & Country Dances
by John Clark
Full title: A Collection of New Strathspey Reels, & Country Dances, with a bass for the violoncello or Harpsichord ... Dedicated to the Musical Society of Perth
Publisher: Perth, John Clark
Seller: Perth, Anderson Music Seller
This collection displays charmingly naïve engraving and typeface.
Gore, Wighton database suggest publication date of 1795, Douglas 1798.
The collection has strong local connections: it is dedicated to the Music Society of Perth, and includes tunes for Clark's family, Anderson's music shop, and Mrs William Marshall.
Roughly half of the reels have an almost identical formulaic bassline for the first strain. Basslines are all single note repetitive lines, with some broken chords for 6/8.
John Anderson published tunes by John Carr, to be found in GB-En Glen 348; those tunes have similar stock basslines (especially at cadences), so perhaps the basslines of both collections are by Anderson.
Pages: 21 p
Dimensions: 32 x 23
Biographical info: Probably not the same John Clark (born 1740) who compiled Flores Musicae and had it published in Edinburgh in 1773. Clark's publisher, Anderson, had a music shop in Perth but there could be a connection with the 19th century music engraver John Anderson who was apprenticed to 'James Johnston' (probably James Johnson).
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 260
- A Collection of New Strathspey Reels & Country Dances [Glasgow University Library (GB-Gu), Ca12-x.40]