A Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Hornpipes, Waltzes &c.
by William Christie
Full title: A Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Hornpipes, Waltzes, &c. arranged as medleys for the Harp, Piano Forte, Violin and Violoncello by William Christie, Teacher of Dancing.
Publisher: Edinburgh: William Christie
Printer: Printed for the Author
Many tunes have Italianate directions at the top. Some tunes become full piano settings if you play all the small notes; despite this, 'HARP' is the most prominent instrument given on the titlepage.
There is a liberal application of ornamentation, articulation and dynamics: some tunes have a plethora of small notes in both left and right hand parts.
Roughly 75% of the tunes are described as being by Christie. The basslines are in a variety of styles, and even the simple four-beat lines are much more diverse than in other sources.
'To the Public,
As the greatest part of the following Collection, is of the Editor’s own Composition, it becomes him to speak but sparingly of its merits. He, however, presumes to hope, that it will be found to be not altogether unworthy of Public notice, on account of the Old Strathspeys, Reels & Melodies which it contains. Every effort has been used to procure proper sets of these Tunes, (some of which are very Old;) and great pains have been taken in furnishing them with appropriate Basses.
The Editor has also in possession a few more Old Scotch Airs, which is is humbly hoped are all worthy of being preserved from Oblivion, and if the present specimen gives satisfaction, these may also appear at some future period.'
Biographical info: William Christie (c.1778-1849) was from Cuminestown by Turriff. An admired violinist and dancing teacher, collector of tunes and composer, he was also a postman. (Alburger, 168; HMT, Highland Collections, ii)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A Lib R f78155(41) Chr
GB-A Hend inst Chr c
GB-En Glen 343
GB-Gu Missing: Store HF00127
Gb-Ob Mus. Instr. I, 47(2)
This source has not been digitised.