A Choice Selection of Minuets, favourite Airs, Hornpipes, Waltzs &c.
by Archibald Duff None
Full title: Part First of A Choice Selection of Minuets, Favourite Airs, Hornpipes, Waltzs &c., With upwards of Forty of the most Approv'd & Fashionable Reels, Strathspeys, & Country Dances, as danced at the Publishers Balls and Publics, in Each Part Adapted for the Piano-Forte, Violin and Violoncello. Dedicated to Lady Ramsay of Balmain by Archd. Duff of Aberdeen. Book 1st.
Publisher: Edinburgh : Archibald Duff
Printer: Printed by Johnson & Anderson, engravers & printers for the publisher
Book 2nd. was never published
The book contains a diverse collection of dances, with a few reels and strathspeys which have single note basslines; the other material often has broken chords of several kinds.
Some dances have 'Pas Seul' with names, which suggests that this book was associated with Duff's dance classes.
Biographical info: Archibald Duff was born c.1770, perhaps in Aberdeen (Baptie). Duff was a dancing master in Montrose, and seems to have been the leading dance teacher in Aberdeen after Peacock's death in 1807, until c.1820. Archibald and his brother Charles offered various musical services in the area south of Aberdeen. (Alburger, 90) He was said to have conducted the Philharmonic Society in Aberdeen. (Glen 2, xvi) He was still alive in 1837, being listed as Professor of Music residing at Clayhills Cottage, Aberdeen in Pigot & Co's 1837 Directory.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 305
GB-Gm M8767 / 786.45
This source has not been digitised.