A Collection of Scots Measures
by Alexander McGlashan
Full title: A Collection of Scots Measures Hornpipes Jigs Allemands Cotillons. And the fashionable Country Dances with a Bass for the Violoncello or Harpsichord
Publisher: Edinburgh, Alexander McGlashan
Printer: Neil Stewart
Seller: Edinburgh, Neil Stewart (Neil Stewart's Music Shop), Parliament Square
As the book progresses, more English and foreign repertoire appears, most notably French.
This compilation shows quite different styles of bassline from A Collection of Strathspey Reels, with much more movement and a similar variety of patterns to many other sources.
In the Scots tunes (airs), the basses are similar in style to McGibbon's.
The book finishes with a long set of variations on 'The Sow's Tail', whose bassline includes semiquaver broken octaves.
Pages: 42 p
Dimensions: 23.5 x 34
Biographical info: Alexander 'King McGlashan' (c.1740-1797) was leader in the band of the Edinburgh Assemblies, according to a sales description pasted into a GB-Gu copy. He was described as an editor, violinist, composer and teacher (Baptie; Alburger); and was a popular recitalist, and a teacher of Nathaniel Gow (Glen 1, x). Gore uses the spelling 'MacGlashan'.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A Lib R f78155(41) McGl co
GB-En Glen 236(3)
GB-En Inglis 184(1)
GB-Gu Ca11-y.22 (a few corrections in red pencil by J. Murdoch Henderson; noted as being 1st edition)
- A Collection of Scots Measures [A K Bell Library, Perth (GB-P), Be4]