by Graham, T. S.
Full title: The Portfolio, a Collection of Quadrilles, Waltzes, Gallopades, Mazurkas, Country, Dances, Reels, & Strathspeys, Selected & Arranged for the Piano Forte, by T. S. Graham. Ent Sta. Hall.
Publisher: Edinburgh; Wood & Co, 12 Waterloo Place; London: Cramer, Addison & Beale, 201 Regent Street
Andrew Wighton dated his copy 1846. It seems to have been published ca 1830-44, considering the publishers' addresses (Humphries and Smith). The advertised 'Vocal Gems of Scotland' has a provisional date of 1835.
There are only five reels and strathspeys at the end, including 'Tullochgorum' (along with some some Scots Quadrilles earlier on), with four-beat basslines mostly in octaves.
The collection contains piano arrangements, of which the accompaniments are mostly different forms of broken chords or Alberti basses. It includes the waltz from Weber's Der Freischutz.
The back page advertisement for J M Muller's 'Vocal Gems of Scotland, new arrangements of Scottish Songs', promotes as a selling point the provision of 'accompaniments well calculated to sustain the voice, without being overloaded with harmonies'.
Biographical info: Nothing is known of T. S. Graham.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
This source has not been digitised.