by Hall, John
Full title: Captain Waverly, A Medley To which are added three Favorite Dances Composed and Adapted for the Piano Forte Violin &c. &c. by J. Hall Teacher of Music Ayr. Entd. Sta[tione]rs. Hall.
Publisher: Glasgow: John Hall
Printer: James Steven
Five tunes, ending with a 'Waltz & trio'.
The accompaniment is mostly simple single note basslines in the Scottish repertoire; other dances have dyads, triads or broken chords.
Biographical info: Violinist, dancing master and composer Hall (c.1788-1862) was born in Ayrshire and died in Glasgow. (Baptie) He published his quadrilles separately. Hall's manuscript music books survive in GB-Gu, drawing tunes from many sources, and sometimes setting them for two violins. (Alburger, 146-7) Hall is unnoted in SBTI, Humphries and Smith, or Kidson.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
This source has not been digitised.