Collection of New Reels
by Johnson, Abraham
Full title: Collection of New Reels. With a Bass for the Violoncello or Harpsichord. Composed and Humbly Dedicated by Permission to General Sir Hector Munro, Knight of the Bath. By Abraham Johnson. Bass Corrected by Mr. Urbani.
Publisher: Edinburgh: Urbani & Liston
Printer: Urbani & Liston
Urbani's corrections mostly amount to making the simple bassline more active and grammatical, but leaving in the occasional consecutive octaves with the tune.
There are some broken chords and Alberti basses with sustained bass note, and some dyads; a few octaves and chords.
One set of variations begins with broken triplet chords under a strathspey ('Coll: Farquharson's Strathspey with Vars. For the Violin', p.8-11), but the collection generally exhibits a fluent expression of the current styles.
Biographical info: The colophon suggests that Johnson was London-based, and was active around 1800.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
This source has not been digitised.