Marshall's Scottish Airs (Second Edition)
by Marshall, William
Full title: Marshall's Scottish Airs, Melodies, Strathspeys, Reels, &c. for the Piano Forte, Harp, Violin & Violoncello, with appropriate Basses, etc.
Publisher: Edinburgh, Alexander Robertson
Printer: Engraved by Walker & Anderson
Seller: Edinburgh, Alexander Robertson at his Music Saloon
Edition: 2nd ed.
includes dedication to Marchioness of Huntly, and Index.
For this second edition, many alterations were made to the plates: additional large and small notes, in LH and RH, rewritten basslines, added accidentals, and amendations to tunes and their titles.
The second edition carries a note on final page that 'the whole of the remainder of Mr Marshall's compositions' are in press 'and will speedily be published', so it most likely dates from 1844-45.
For example, 'Miss Admiral Gordon's Strathspey' has three quite different arrangements in the 1781, 1822 and 1844 volumes.
Note on p2: 'NB. The Octave of the Bass may be played throughout all the Quick Tunes.'
Pages: 60 p
Biographical info: Marshall (1748-1833) was a fiddler and composer, born in Fochabers, employed as house steward to the Duke of Gordon. (Glen 2, v-vii; Alburger; Bulloch; Cowie)
His father Francis Marshall was both fiddler and shoemaker in Fochabers to the Duke of Gordon. (Keith Sanger, correspondence, source: National Records of Scotland BD44/51/295/2/38)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A Lib R f7864 Mar (catalogue '184-?, 3rd edition')
GB-A Hend inst Mar s
GB-Eu SCF 1110/2 (catalogued as 2nd edition )
GB-Lbl h.327.a (catalogued as 2nd edition )
- Marshall's Scottish Airs (Second Edition) [Glasgow University Library (GB-Gu), Ca11-y.20]