A Collection of the Ancient Martial Music of Caledonia
by Donald Macdonald
Full title: A Collection of the Ancient Martial Music of Caledonia, called Piobaireachd As performed on the Great Highland Bagpipe. Now also Adapted to the Piano Forte Violin and Violoncello. With a Few Old Highland Lilts Prposely Set for the above Modern Instruments. To which is prefixed A Complete Tutor for attaining a thorough knowledge of the pipe music Respectfully Dedicated to the Highland Society of Scotland By Donald Macdonald Pipe Maker Edinburgh. ... NB. D. Macdonald begs leave to intimate that he teaches the Great Highland, Northumberland & Irish Bagpipes.
Publisher: Edinburgh: Donald Macdonald
Printer: Engraved and printed by Walker and Anderson for the Publisher Donald Macdonald
Macdonald was commissioned by the Highland Society of London to notate piobaireachd in staff notation.
In the preface of this collection he explains that the accommodation of the music to almost all other instruments arose from 'patriotic feeling'.
Baptie dates the Collection 1831, Gore suggests c.1822-33, but watermark dates paper 1814.
Accompaniment styles include chords, Murkys, broken chords, making the end result extremely metrical.
J. Murdoch Henderson noted on the GB-En copy that the watermark dates from 1814.
The National Museum of Scotland holds the original printing plate of page 98, and dates the publication 1821-22.
Some facsimiles online omit the accompaniments.
Link: Google Books
Biographical info: Edinburgh pipemaker Donald Macdonald was born ca.1780. (Baptie) He is described as the publisher of the Collection, although unlisted in SBTI as a publisher.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 298
This source has not been digitised.