A Third Collection of Strathspey Reels
by Malcolm Macdonald
Full title: A Third Collection of Strathspey Reels &c. With a Bass for the Violoncello or Harpsichord. Dedicated to Miss Drummond of Perth. […] by Malcolm McDonald at Dunkeld.
Publisher: Edinburgh: for the Author, [n.d.]
Printer: For the author
The subscriber list includes several musicians including Archie Duff, Robert Petrie, Ensign Simon Fraser. 'Mr Corrie & Co.' bought 8 copies. The book includes a tune by John Bowie.
Simple four-beat basses with occasional quirks and interesting features: chromaticism here and there, some judicious consecutives, some broken octaves in crotchets (up and down), and some octaves.
At least one tune has a simple bass which is for piano rather than cello (octaves and broken chords).
Biographical info: Malcolm Macdonald was born in Dunkeld (c.1750), and was active c.1785-1800. He was sometime cellist to Niel Gow. (Alburger, 117; Glen 1, xii)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 293
Gb-Gm M8850 / 786.45
GB-P Bf32 (Edinburgh: Corri & Co., 1790; two pages missing)
This source has not been digitised.