A Collection of Scots Tunes (Rutherford)
by McGibbon, William
Full title: A Collection of Scots Tunes Some with Variations for a Violin Hautboy or German Flute With a Bass for a Violoncello or Harpsichord by William McGibbon
Publisher: London: David Rutherford
Printer: Printed for David Rutherford at the Violin and German Flute in St Martins Court near Leicester Fields [sic], where may be had all the most favourite Minuets and country Dances likewise Books of Instructions for all Instruments.
titlepage has noted in ink, 'Jos. Wal 1788'.
Includes the Edinburgh version of 'Put the Gown upon the Bishop', so is probably derived from Edinburgh-Stewart edition rather than via Bremner - could be a rival London version to his?
Price is missing from IMSLP copy.
Biographical info: William McGibbon (1696-1756) is believed to have been born in Glasgow. In 1709, he went to London, where he studied with William Corbett, and travelled to Italy with him in 1711. Around 1720, McGibbon settled in Edinburgh, and played in the Edinburgh Musical Society from 1726. He died in Edinburgh. Upon McGibbon's death, his estate was left to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary; they sold Cooper's plates of McGibbon's Scots tune books to Bremner, who published them in Edinburgh and London. Neil Stewart published his editions in Edinburgh 1761-1783, and S. A. & P. Thompson theirs in London, 1779-1794. (Grove)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
This source has not been digitised.