A Collection of Strathspey Reels
by MacGlashan, John
Full title: A Collection of Strathspey Reels for the Piano Forte, Violin, or German flute. Dedicated by Permission to The Honble. Mrs. Charteris; By John Macglashan
Publisher: Edinburgh: N. Stewart & Co.
Printer: N. Stewart & Co., No.37 South Bridge Street
Muir Wood perhaps reprinted the John Watlen edition mentioned by J. Murdoch Henderson on GB-P copy?
GB-P copy has been used a lot, judging from the bottom corners, and some missing notes.
This volume contains mostly strathspeys, reels and jigs. The slow tunes have austere but dignified basses with some quaver and even semiquaver passages; otherwise mostly simple four-beat single lines varied enough to be interesting without getting in the way. One slow march is more pianistic with big right hand chords.
Biographical info: John McGlashan was listed as an Edinburgh piano teacher in 1796-7. He may have been brother of Alexander McGlashan. (Glen 2, xvii)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-DUcl (Edinburgh: Muir Wood & Co, No.16 George Street, 1798)
GB-En Glen 363 (Muir Wood)
GB-En MH68 (Muir Wood)
GB-P Be48 (lacks p.15)
This source has not been digitised.