A Collection of Strathspey Reels &c.
by McLaren, Daniel
Full title: A Collection of Strathspey Reels &c. With a Bass for the Violoncello or Harpsichord Dedicated by Permission to Miss Dr. Grant by Daniel McLaren
Publisher: For the Author
Printer: Edinburgh Printed for the Author
Good tunes: the GB-En copy has a subscriber list including many musicians including Nathaniel Gow, McGlashan, Shepherd, Daniel Robertson, Stabilini, Natale Corri and Charles Stewart. This copy also has pencil annotations to titles.
'Miss Sally Bartlett's Jig' starts with a long note: she lived at Edinburgh Castle according to subscriber list. 'The Earl of Bradalbane's Delight' has a rare wrong note in the tune. There are some Gaelic titles and Irish tunes.
The four-beat basslines are full of interest, often using stock patterns but with variety. There are intriguing bowing and/or articulation marks in 'Mr Jo. Reid's Reel' (p3), and a few variation sets, including 'Reel of Tulloch' with a plain repetitive bass.
There is liberal use of the mediant as a bass note, and one 3/4 tune with variations and its Corelli-inspired jig have figured basses.
On the back page 'The Moss House, Logiealmond. by Miss Macdonald, St. Martins' is a rondo with a minore section in E flat minor (with a k-s of 6 flats). The final tune 'Miss Louisa Drummond Logiealmond's Reel' is chromatic in places.
'Tulloch Gorum' has four strains in total, and a simple bassline in octaves. 'The Berwickshire Militia' etc. have unusually static basslines compared to others.
Biographical info: A fiddler/composer from Taymouth, Perthshire, McLaren published his own music from his house in Bell's Wynd, Edinburgh at the end of the 18th century. (Glen 2, xvi) His name is also spelled Maclaren.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-DUcl 10499 (listed as Donald McLaren)
GB-En Glen 288 (1)
GB-Ep (info from RISM)
This source has not been digitised.