A Collection of New Strathspey Reels
by John Morison
Full title: A Collection of New Strathspey Reels With a few favourite Marches for the Piano-Forte Violin and Violoncello.
Publisher: Edinburgh: For the Author
Printer: Printed for the Author
 written in ink on GB-Gu titlepage: the price had gone up to 8/- by the time this copy was sold. Subscriber list largely based in the North East.
The content is mostly strathspeys (not all with dotted rhythms), hornpipes, jigs, and not too many reels.
From p18, there are March-Quickstep pairs (Quick Steps mostly in 2/4, but one is in 6/8: one is marked 'Distenct'), and a March-Troop (the Troop in 3/8).
Simple repetitive single note basslines for the most part. One slow strathspey, and the later dance pairs have more pianistic basses.
Link: British Library
Biographical info: Morison (c.1772-1848) was a Peterhead organist and fiddler. (Glen 2, xviii) Failing fortunes forced him to diversify: he also organised balls and ran a ship's chandlery. (Alburger, 89-90)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-Gm M8867 / 786.45
This source has not been digitised.