A Collection of Highland Music
by Morrison, William
Full title: A Collection of Highland Music consisting of Strathspeys, Reels, Marches, Waltzes & slow Airs with Variations original & selected for the Piano Forte Violin and Violoncello ... by W. Morrison.
Printer: Printed for and sold by J. Young
This collection contains an unusual variety of musical material, including much Gaelic and Highland repertoire: Young also published books in Gaelic, printed in Edinburgh.
Short title given on the index page is 'Morrisons Highland Music'. The volume contains an obsequious dedication to Lady Seaforth.
GB-Gu copy has  noted in ink.
Four tunes, including 'A March for the Clans' are by 'a gentleman' (with another obsequious dedication).
There are variation sets on 'Killiecrankie', 'Are you always pleased', and 'Lewis Gordon', which is very pianistic.
The book includes a St Kilda Song and Air communicated from Miss McLeod of Rodall.
The jig 'Murphey Dellany' has the rubric 'This Tune my be played for a Bumpkin.'
Also included is 'North of the Grampians' by Capt. [Simon] Fraser.
Separate Piano Forte (semiquaver) and Violoncello basses are given for the first (Gaelic) tune. There are some single note basslines but most are more pianistic, if simple.
Biographical info: Morrison was active, probably around Inverness, c.1813, and published in Inverness and Edinburgh.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-DUcl 10501 (also includes Morrison's 'The Hon. Miss McKenzie's waltz' and 'Capt. McKenzie's Quick step')
GB-En Glen 325
This source has not been digitised.