A collection of favorite dances
by Nicolson, Henry
Full title: A collection of favorite dances; composed, arranged for the piano-forte and respectfully inscribed to his pupils by H. Nicolson, teacher of dancing grand shawl dance.
Publisher: Edinburgh: H. Nicolson
Printer: Printed and sold by the author.
Includes dance directions: tambourines, castanets, wreaths and a shawl are used as props, and a number of dances are 'as danced by' named individuals.
The 'grand shawl dance' was listed in an unconnected dance programme in the context of 'A new Turkish divertissement' in 1809; see Susan Valladares, Staging the Peninsular War:English theatres 1807-1815 (Ashgate, 2015)
Biographical info: Nicolson was a dancing teacher, apparently renowned for teaching the 'grand shawl dance'. There is possibly a Dundee connection, as the only other vendor is a Mr [Charles] Duff in Dundee, whose brother Archibald was also a dance teacher.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 331
This source has not been digitised.