A Collection of Strathspey Reels
by William Shepherd
Full title: A Collection of Strathspey Reels &c With a Bass for the Violoncello or Harpsichord Dedicated by Permission To Miss Abercromby of Tullibody Composed by William Shepherd.
Publisher: Edinburgh: Printed for the Author
Printer: For the Author. Engraved by George Walker, Edinburgh
GB-Gu copy has noted in pencil, 1st issue . A later edition was edited by Gow, after Shepherd had entered partnership with him in 1796.
The book contains many strathspeys, and includes tunes by 'C. Stewart.' and 'Mr. Mc.Intosh Junr.'
Shepherd's collection displays relatively sophisticated notation with articulation and some dynamics, and the occasional Italian term: 'Pomposa', presented in an unusual engraving style by George Walker of Edinburgh.
The basslines has occasional dyads, and also occasional chromaticism. There are plenty of simple four-beat basslines, but some more elegant lines too.
Link: British Library
Biographical info: Shepherd (c.1760-1812) was a fiddler, composer, music publisher and seller, who in 1796 entered partnership with Nathaniel Gow until Shepherd died in 1812. (Glen 2, xv; Gore)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-Cu (info from RISM)
GB-En Glen 345
GB-Gm M8913 / 786.45 (with MS notes by Kidson)
GB-Gu Ca12-x.42 ()
GB-Gu Ca12-x.43 ([1808, corrected by N Gow])
GB-Ob Harding Mus. F 132 (5)
GB-Ob Mus. 119 c.S.17 (1)
GB-P Be7 (2nd edition 'corricted' by N. Gow)
This source has not been digitised.