A Collection of Minuets, Cottilions, Allemands, High Dances, Hornpipes &c.
by Charles Stewart
Full title: A Collection of Minuets, Cottilions, Allemands, High Dances, Hornpipes &c. for the Piano-Forte and Violin Composed and Dedicated to Miss Elizabeth Campbell of Shawfield by Charles Stewart, Musician to Mr. Strange.
Printer: Printed for the author, by Muir Wood & Co. Musical Instrument Makers to His Majesty, No.7 Leith Street
This collection has no characteristically Scottish repertoire. A pencil note on the GB-En copy titlepage reads 'May 1805'.
The basses are pianistic, with some violin accompaniment, and annotations showing bugle and horn parts in minuets. For details of 'High Dance', see Flett.
Biographical info: Fiddler and composer Charles Stewart was possibly the musician in Leith Wynd (Edinburgh), 1794-96, and definitely in Todrick's Wynd, 1800-01. Stewart was Edinburgh dancing teacher David Strange's assistant in 1802, and by the end of 1803 was describing himself as Strange's successor. Stewart taught classes, gave an annual ball, and by 1805 advertised his 'First Book of Minuets, High Dances, Cottillions, etc, etc', as used by his late master, Mr Strange. Stewart was leader and repetiteur of Edinburgh's Theatre Royal Orchestra. He suffered ill-health from c.1811 (a benefit ball was held in 1812) and died in 1818. DOB unknown. See Glen 2, xvii-xviii.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A Hend inst Ste c
GB-En Glen 287(2)
GB-Gm M9608 / 786.45
GB-Ob Harding Mus. L 93 (44)
This source has not been digitised.