A Complete Repository of Old and New Scotch Strathspeys, Reels & Jigs
by [Nathaniel] Gow & Shepherd
Full title: A Complete Repository of Old and New Scotch Strathspeys, Reels & Jigs, Aranged [sic] for the German Flute.
Printer: Printed Gow & Shepherd
The similarly titled A complete repository of old and new Scotch strathspeys, reels & jigs, adapted for the German flute, at GB-En Glen 153(3), was published by Hamilton in Edinburgh and Power in Dublin c.1810, with 44 p. of music. A complete repository of strathspey reels jigs favourite airs and waltzes, for the flute or violin, at GB-En Glen 126, was published by Purdie in Edinburgh c.1828, with 48 p. of music. The three collections have different pagination and different contents.
No basslines. GB-DUcl has Vols. 1 and 2 published by Gow & Shepherd, and a longer single-volume Purdie edition, all bound as one.
Biographical info: Niel Gow (1727-1807), father of the famous Gow family, lived in Inver near Dunkeld. (Glen 2, viii-xiv; Grove; Murdoch, 41-48) Gow's fourth son Nathaniel (1763-1831), violinist and Edinburgh publisher, was perhaps the most famous of the siblings; but his brothers William, John and Andrew also traded in music (John and Andrew in London). Nathaniel's son, Niel Junr., lived 1795-1823.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-DUcl 92490 ( Book 1st , Edinburgh: Printed & Sold by Gow & Shepherd, 40? Princes Street & W. Power & Co., Westmoreland Street Dublin. 48 p)
GB-DUcl 92490 (Book 2nd, Edinburgh: Printed & Sold by Gow & Shepherd No.40 Princes Street. 50 pages with an inserted manuscript entitled "Minuet by Macdonald".)
GB-DUcl 92490 (A Complete Repository [ ...] Selected from the works of Niel Gow & Sons. Edinburgh: Printed for and sold by Robt. Purdie [...] 85 Princes Street. 48 p)
GB-En Glen 127
This source has not been digitised.