Six new tunes … Ogilvy
by Alexander, John
Full title: Six new tunes arranged for the piano forte / dedicated with permission to the Right Hon. Lady Helen Ogilvy of Airly
Printer: Walker & Anderson
The dedicatee, Helen Ogilvy of Clova (1798-1868) was the daughter of the Earl of Airlie.
There are actually seven tunes: three strathspeys, one reel, one jig, one quadrille, one slow air. Alexander mostly uses single note basslines, some with some dyads, triads and broken chords. The date ca.1815 is indicated by a pencil note on p.1. The arrangements are simple: the strathspeys and reel bass lines are almost all in single notes.
Biographical info: Alexander fl.c.1800-1860. We know only that he was a musician from Forfar who compiled tunes for the pianoforte.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En bound with Glen 348 (1-6)
This source has not been digitised.