The Caledonian Muse
by Thompson, Samuel, Ann & Peter
Full title: The Caledonian Muse: a Collection of Scarce & Favorite Scots Tunes both Highland and Lowland, viz. Songs, Luinigs, Laments, Reels, Strathspeys, Measures, Jiggs &c., properly adapted for the Violin, German Flute, Harpsichord & Pianoforte ... to which is prefixed an Essay on Scots Music.
The collection appears to have been compiled from a number of different sources, McGibbon and Bremner in particular. The prefatory essay, not always present in extant copies, is largely from Macdonald's Highland Vocal Airs (Ramsay of Ochtertyre's work).
Some tunes are identified as songs from stage works (e.g. The Beggars Opera, The Gentle Shepherd, Highland Reel, Mackbeth), others are assigned a Highland/Island provenance, often from Macdonald, although the Gaelic is erratic.
Some tunes have a tempo indication. The basslines are mostly simple, some with repeated crotchets, and some more elegant and baroque.
Nos. 83 (taken from Highland Vocal Airs) and 109 are St Kilda song and dance, and St Kilda is discussed in the essay.
Pages: 72 p
Biographical info: Publishers Samuel, Ann and Peter Thompson were active as far back as 1781, trading from 75 St Paul's Church Yard, London. An earlier Peter Thomson was trading as early as 1746. Kidson dates this volume c.1789, but published advertisements place it in 1790, when the same publishers issued The Hibernian Muse. The last trace of the firm is in the name of Henry Thompson in 1804.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 151(2) [essay included]
GB-Gm M8709/786.45 [essay missing; minimal notes by Kidson. Handwritten copy of titlepage.]
GB-Lbl a.195.(2) [Imperfect; wanting the titlepage and pp.65,66]
- The Caledonian Muse [A K Bell Library, Perth (GB-P), Bd48]