A Collection of Marches, Quick Steps, Strathspeys, Reels &c.
by Campbell, James
Full title: A Collection of Marches, Quick Steps, Strathspeys, Reels &c. Composed and Adapted for the Piano-Forte, Violin; and as Duetts for 2 Flutes
Publisher: Glasgow: A. McGoun junior
Printer: Printed & Sold by A.MacGoun Junr. Music Seller & Stationer, Argyle Street; Geo. Walker, Sculpt.
The collection opens with 'Royal Glasgow Volunteer's March'. Campbell provides mostly single note basslines, some pianistic, and some broken chords.
There are four flute duets at the end, all marches, including 'Royal Paisley Volunteers' and 'Renfrew Shire Militia'.
Link: HMT, with basslines
Biographical info: Nothing is known of James Campbell, though he seems likely to have had a Glasgow or Paisley connection. His publisher, McGoun (MacGoun, McGowan, McCown) was a Glasgow book/music seller, stationer and later also papermaker; SBTI lists Archibald, Archibald Junior and Andrew.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A Hend inst Cam c
GB-NLS Mus.E.l.219 (6) (volume also contains 'Glasgow Volunteers March by J.H. Rose, published by MacGoun)
This source has not been digitised.