A Collection of the Newest & best Reels and Minuets
by Joshua Campbell
Full title: A Collection of the Newest & best Reels and Minuets, with Improvements Adapted for the Violin or German Flute: With a Bass for the Violoncello or Harpsichord by Joshua Campbell
Publisher: Glasgow, Printed for & Sold by J. Aird
Printer: Printed for J.Aird; I Monach Scr. Ready Sculp.
Both extant sources suggest a publication date of 1788, and the collection was announced by Aird that year, according to Glen.
Titlepage also advertises Aird's Selection of Scots, English, Irish &c. Tunes, 3 vols., and 'Of Whom may be had Riddels Scots Reels 5/, Cummings Strathspeys 5/, Corri's Harpd. Sonatas Op.2 7/6, Aird's Scots Tunes for Violin or Harpd.'
Many tunes are shared with A Collection of New Reels and Highland Strathspeys. It includes some Mackintosh minuets and reels without attribution, and slightly more rudimentary basslines, and ossias when too low for flute.
The book has an early version of 'The Soldier's Joy' (p56). There are reels, jigs, marches, minuets, some scordatura, and no strathspeys!
'The New Town of Edinburgh' (p27) appears here as a reel, almost identical to Bremner, but with different low ending. All basslines are simple format single lines.
Biographical info: Campbell (c.1730-1801) was a Glasgow musician, composer, guitar teacher and bellringer. (Glen 1, ix)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A Hend inst Cam J r
GB-En Glen 156(1) (discoloured from water damage but basically intact.)
This source has not been digitised.