A Collection of Favourite Tunes With new Variations
by Joshua Campbell
Full title: A Collection of Favourite Tunes With new Variations Adapted for the Violin & German-Flute With a Bass for the Violoncello and Thorough-Bass for the Harpsichord by Joshua Campbell
Publisher: Glasgow: For the Author
Printer: Printed for the Author. Ready Sculpt.
Glen dated this and A Collection of New Reels and Highland Strathspeys 1779, on the strength of a concert advertisement mentioning them that year.
GB-En copy is a later edition "Corrected by P. Urbani. Printed and Sold by Urbani & Liston at their Music Warehouse No.10 Princes Street Edinr." "6/" in ink.
Gore noted: " ... corrected by P. Urbani...": he may not have examined the first edition.
Music engraving by Johnson in Edinburgh. The tunes are with Italianate basses, and flute/fiddle variations (given without bass), very like McGibbon. 'For Lake [Lack] of Gold' is given again on p74 down a tone 'for the Violin' with slightly different variations, so most of the book could be intended for flute; the first version also goes below C at one point with ossia notes given. There are some minuets towards the end of the book (one with arpeggiated variations in B flat); and a 'Corelli's Gigga' in G minor (op.5 no.5). 'Will yow go to Flanders' (p32) is in A, but starts off with slightly altered variations from Bremner in which the double stops, transposed from G, don't work any more: more agile variations and a minuet follow.
Biographical info: Campbell (c.1730-1801) was a Glasgow musician, composer, guitar teacher and bellringer. (Glen 1, ix)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-DUcl 92474 (first edition)
GB-En Glen 151(1) ('Corrected by P. Urbani')
GB-Gm M8977 / 786.48 (first edition)
GB-Ob Harding Mus. M 26 (3)
This source has not been digitised.