A Complete Collection of much admired Tunes
by Clarkson, John (junior)
Full title: A Complete Collection Of much admired Tunes, as Danced at the Balls and Public's of the late Mr. Strange Purchased and arranged for the Piano Forte And respectfully dedicated to his scholars, by John Clarkson Junr: Teacher of Dancing EDINr. Entered at Stationers Hall.
Publisher: Edinburgh: J. Hamilton
Printer: J. Hamilton
p1-19 Minuets, some paired with Gavotts, one with a Trio. p20-23 'Single Jigs', then double jigs, hornpipes, cotillions, strathspeys etc. 'Miss Mary Moncreif's Dance', (p.25) is atrributed to Haydn. Some items are grouped by key.
The minuets are quite pianistic; otherwise, there is a variety of mostly single-line basses.
Biographical info: The son of John Clarkson Snr (see below), John Clarkson Jnr was a violinist and dancing master, who published his collection of the late Mr [David] Strange's tunes, in 1803.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A Hend inst Clar t
GB-En Glen 259
GB-Gm M8747 / 786.45
This source has not been digitised.