Thirty New Strathspey Reels
by Cooper, Isaac
Full title: Thirty New Strathspey Reels For The Violin or Harpsicord Composed By Isaac Cooper
Publisher: Edinburgh, London: J. Watlen
This is a large elegant landscape volume.
The contents are almost all strathspeys, but are called reels, provided with simple 4-beat basses throughout. Slurs are provided in the tunes, which are generally straightforward but distinct in style and have character; there are a few obvious wrong notes here and there. The 'Harlequin Reel' has violin double stops and a three-note E major chord to start.
Biographical info: Cooper (c.1755-1820?) was born and died in Banff, but spent some years in Edinburgh. He taught dancing, a wide range of wind and string instruments, and also composed dance music. His music was sold widely in Scotland, and also in London. (Glen 2, vii-viii; Alburger, 89) HMT Highland Collections reprints the tunes from this collection, some of them with basses, giving Cooper's biography on pp.ii-iii.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 235
This source has not been digitised.