Dale's Collection of Reels & Dances
by Joseph Dale
Full title: Dales Collection of Reels & Dances
Publisher: London: Joseph Dale
Printer: Joseph Dale at his Warehouse
The first two volumes are prior to 1803, based from addresses on first page ((Kidson). GB-Gu catalogue guesses c.1800 for book.1. Book 8 mentions Trafalgar (1805). Book no.11 is inscribed 'Eliza Atkinson January 20th 1810' in ink.
This was apparently an annual series of dance books, with many Scottish tunes, some in unusual forms, with a great variety of bassline styles, and more broken chords/Alberti as the books progress. Several have piano fingerings, printed or pencilled later.
Book vol.4 has 'La Boulanger', which is very like 'Clout the Cauldron'. 'Mrs McCleod of Rosa [Raasay]' appears in book 24. Many tunes have dance figures.
The set provides illustrations of many piano styles for dancing, and Scottish material borrowed, mangled and in the context of other dance tunes.
Biographical info: Joseph Dale (c.1750-1821) founded a music publishing business in London c.1778, which in turn passed down to his sons until c.1835. (Baptie; Kidson) He also published Dale's Collection of 60 Favorite Scotch Songs (3 vols. of 60 each, RISM D782). Also a composer, Joseph Dale's Six Sonatas for Harpsichord are online at IMSLP. W.Dale (son?), 'Surry side of Blackfriar's Bridge' described himself as 'successor to R. Parsley' in his New Lyric Repository of 1792.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A (no.26 )
GB-Gm M8759 / 786.45 (books 1-8, 22, 25)
GB-Gu (24 books from the series)
This source has not been digitised.