Dale's Selection of the most favorite Country Dances and Reels
by Joseph Dale
Full title: Dale's Selection of the most favorite Country Dances and Reels. Alternative title: Dale's Selection of the most favorite country dances, reels &c. with their proper figures, for the harp, harpsichord & violin / Selection of the most favorite country dances, reels &c. with their proper figures, for the harp, harpsichord & violin, as performed at the Prince of Wales, Bath, & other Grand Balls, & Assemblies, N.B. This Collection contains every Popular Dance & Reel in Use.
Publisher: London: J. Dale
Appears to be same publication as Preston's Selection of the Most Favourite Country Dances, Reels &c. London c.1791 [page numbers don't match, but content is similar]
Some Scottish material, including Mackintosh's 'Miss Campbell's Reel' taken directly from Airs Minuets Gavotts and Reels, unattributed.
The basslines have variety, but the Scottish tunes tend to have four-beat repetitive basses.
Link: IMSLP, book 1 only
Biographical info: Joseph Dale (c.1750-1821) founded a music publishing business in London c.1778, which in turn passed down to his sons until c.1835. (Baptie; Kidson) He also published Dale's Collection of 60 Favorite Scotch Songs (3 vols. of 60 each, RISM D782). Also a composer, Joseph Dale's Six Sonatas for Harpsichord are online at IMSLP. W.Dale (son?), 'Surry side of Blackfriar's Bridge' described himself as 'successor to R. Parsley' in his New Lyric Repository of 1792.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-Gm M8760-1 / 786.45 (includes book 2)
This source has not been digitised.