A Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Jiggs &c.
by Duff, Charles
Full title: A Collection of Strathspeys, Reels, Jiggs &c. With a Bass for the Violincello or Harpsichord To which is added Four Minuets, Four Marches in three Parts. Dedicated (by Permission) to his Grace The Duke of Athole By Charles Duff. N.B. The Tunes mark't J. McD. are Composed by Mr. Jno. McDonald late Dancing Master Dundee.
Publisher: Dundee: Charles Duff
Printer: For the Author
This Dundee collection's subscriber list includes many musicans and dancing masters: Bayne, Bowie, Leyburn, both Robert and Abraham Mackintosh, both still in Edinburgh, Malcolm McDonald, Petrie, and Ross. Twelve copies were sent to Archibald McGowan (McGoun, MacGoun), music seller, Glasgow.
"N.B. The tunes mark't J McD are composed by Mr Jn McDonald late dancing master Dundee" (noted in Wighton Database, where title is wrongly cited as 'Selection' rather than 'Collection')
The music is unexpectedly simple given the number of musicians who subscribed. In the 'Old Reel of Tulloch Strathspey' by Capt. Fife. (p27, and also in John Anderson's book) the opening of the bass line is somewhat confused.
'N.B. The Tunes mark't J. McD. are Composed by Mr. Jno. McDonald late Dancing Master Dundee.'
Biographical info: Charles Duff (c.1760-c.1822) lived in Dundee, and for a while in Montrose. He was a musician, Dundee music seller (trading as Duff & Chalmers), employed at concerts and balls, and apparently at one time Leader of the Musical Society in Dundee. He tuned pianos in 'Montrose, Aberdeen, Brechin and Forfar' (Glen 1, xiii). The brother of dancing master Archibald Duff, Charles may also have taught dancing. SBTI lists Duff as music seller in Dundee, at 30 High Street in 1818, and the Nethergate in 1822.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-A SB f785(41) Duf
GB-En Glen 299
GB-EN Mus.E.l.225 (21)
GB-P Sandeman Be69
This source has not been digitised.