New Strathspey Reels
by Eglinton, Hugh Montgomerie
Full title: New Strathspey Reels, for the Piano forte, Violin and violincello, Composed by a Gentleman and given with permission to be published by Nathl. Gow
Publisher: Edinburgh: Nathaniel Gow
Printer: Edinburgh: printed and sold by N. Stewart & Co.
This is a collection published by Nathaniel Gow for the Earl of Eglinton. The GB-Gu copy carries Corri & Dussek's London sales label on the titlepage.
The book is mostly strathspeys and reels, with a few jigs, the odd march, a Scots measure and a 2/4 quickstep.
The accompaniment is mostly single note basslines, but with some additional notes in small or large noteheads (small notes being above or below the bass); there are some chords, and some octaves here and there. 'Scottish Measure' has a different style of bassline, and 'A Good Thought' has broken two-note chords, with a 'Slow' tempo marking.
Link: HMT transcription
Biographical info: Hugh Montgomerie, 12th Earl of Eglinton (c.1740-1819) was an amateur violinist and composer, who occasionally joined in playing with the band at Eglinton Castle. (Alburger, 147) A selection of his songs and marches, arranged by John Turnbull, was published posthumously in Glasgow, 1858?
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-Cu MRA.32.80.12 (listed as Gow)
GB-En Glen 272 (listed under 'Gentleman')
GB-Gm M8957 / 786.45
GB-Gu Ca12-x.52 (Corri & Dussek edition)
GB-Ob Tyson Mus. 1143(3) (listed as Gow)
GB-Ob Mus. Instr. I, 101 (8) (listed as Gow)
GB-P Be41 (lsited as Gow)
GB-SA Finzi Collection 112 (N.Stewart edition, )
This source has not been digitised.