A Collection of Strathspey Reels
by Gow, Niel
Full title: A Collection of Strathspey Reels With a Bass for the Violoncello or Harpsichord Most humbly Dedicated to her Grace The Dutchess of Athole By Niel Gow at Dunkeld / Price 5sh.
Publisher: Edinburgh, Niel Gow
Printer: Butterworth 'script.' (designer of titlepage) Johnson 'sculpt.' (engraver of titlepage)
Seller: Edinburgh, Corri & Sutherland
Distinguishing features of this first issue/edition are: 'printed for the author', 'dedicated to the Dutchess of Athole', 'sold by Corri and Sutherland'.
Copies sold by Stewart, Corri and Sutherland, by Corri and Dussek, or by Corri, are not the first issue.
Later impressions of 1st edition, including those sold by Corri & Sutherland, and by Corri, Dussek & Co., have alterations to the musical text: for example 'The Flaggon' on p.5 includes B flats, as does the 2nd edition.
The Corri, Dussek & Co. printing appears to be from very worn plates. The GB-Gm copy, which belonged to Frank Kidson, includes a note that Gow was advertised as publisher in the Scots Magazine for August 1784.
Pages: 36 p
Dimensions: 34.5 x 25
Link: IMSLP: possibly pirated first edition by W. Boag in London, held by National Library of the Netherlands.
Biographical info: Niel Gow (1727-1807), father of the famous Gow family, lived in Inver near Dunkeld. (Glen 2, viii-xiv; Grove; Alburger; Murdoch, 41-48) Gow's fourth son Nathaniel (1763-1831), violinist and Edinburgh publisher, was perhaps the most famous of the siblings; but his brothers William, John and Andrew also traded in music (John and Andrew in London). Nathaniel's son, Niel Junr., lived 1795-1823.
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- University Library, Durham
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-P Af.28 (longer subscriber list, and inside cover note included with images of Af.36 as an appendix)
GB-A Sp.Colls. Lib R f78155(41) Gow Ni c 1
GB-A Sp.Colls. Lib R f78155(41) Gow Ni c 2
GB-DRu Fleming SF.176(II) (Corri, Dussek & Co.)
GB-En Glen 407(1)
GB-Eu Scott Stud Lib (lacking titlepage, catalogued as Corri: )
GB-Gu Ca12-y.35 (catalogued as [ca.1800])
GB-Lbl g.271.l.(1) (lacking subscriber list)
GB-Lbl h.3870.t.(4) (includes subscriber list)
GB-Ob Mus.119.c.G.17(1) (Corri & Company, catalogued as [ca.1792])
GB-Ob Harding Mus.F 123 (5) (catalogued as [ca.1795])
GB-Ob Tyson Mus. 1143(4) (catalogued as [ca.1797])
GB-Ob Harding Mus. F.116 (catalogued as [ca. 1797]),
GB-Ob Harding Mus. F124(1) (sold by N & M. Stewart, catalogued as [ca.1800])
- A Collection of Strathspey Reels [A K Bell Library, Perth (GB-P), Af.36]