A Collection of Slow Airs, Reels & Strathspeys
by Duncan Macintyre
Full title: A Collection of Slow Airs, Reels & Strathspeys Dedicated by Permission, to the Right Honble Lady Charlotte Campbell, Composed by D. Macintyre. Teacher of Scotch Dancing.
Printer: Printed for the Author
The book consists of reels, strathspeys, jigs and fancies: mostly tunes in pairs by key, with a reel as the second tune.
The GB-Gu copy belonged to Alexander McIntyre: it has an ink inscription, 'Mr Macintyre his Music Book'.
The subscriber list is largely London-based, with some military Grants, and includes Nathaniel Gow.
The collection uses single note basslines (some going down to bottom F, so apparently for piano), with some LH small notes, including 3- and 4-note chords. 'Miss Leslies Fancy' also has a decorative "Viol:2o." part. Mr I. Rose's Strathspey is 'by Mrs. Macintyre'.
Link: HMT transcription
Biographical info: Duncan Macintyre (c.1765-c.1807) was a London dancing master when he published 'Slow Airs …' in 1795. He went to India, possibly a Master of Ceremonies to the Governor-General's Court, and died c.1806. (Glen 2, xvii - 'McIntyre'; Baptie)
- Aberdeen University Library
- Birmingham University Library
- Cambridge University Library
- Dundee Central Library (Wighton Collection)
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Edinburgh City Library
- Edinburgh University Library
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow
- University of Glasgow Library
- Royal Academy of Music, London
- British Library, London
- Royal College of Music, London
- Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp House, London
- Manchester Public Library
- Manchester University Library
- Newcastle University Library
- Bodleian Library, University of Oxford
- A K Bell Library, Perth
- Saint Andrews University Library
- Sheffield University Library
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin
- Trinity College Dublin
GB-En Glen 266
GB-Gm (info from RISM)
GB-Gu Ca12-x.48 (lacking last 2 pages)
This source has not been digitised.